RALEIGH - The leadership for this session's North Carolina General Assembly is now set.
The State House convened at midday Thu. January 9 and elected representative Thom Tillis as Speaker for a second two-year term. Representative Paul Stam was elected Speaker Pro Tem.
The North Carolina Senate also met today and chose Senator Phil Berger of Eden for another two years as Senate Leader. Senator Louis Pate of Mount Olive was elected as Deputy Senate Leader.
Governor Pat McCrory, who visited New Bern's Tryon Palace Wednesday, watched the day's proceedings.
The State General Assembly will return on Wed. January 30 to begin the legislative year.
- Updated Long commute could hurt your health, add to your waistline
- Updated Italy earthquake: At least 2 killed, buildings collapse
- Can Tokyo avoid the curse of the Olympics?
- Trump: 'There could certainly be a softening' on immigration stance
- After gay couple's home is vandalized, a community rallies