A space heater overloaded an extension cord, leading to a fire Sunday night at a Lenoir County home.
The home is on the 3700 block of Tram Road, near Highway 258, in the Deep Run area.
Firefighters got the call just after 9 p.m.
The residents, a family of four including a child, are now displaced; the home is a total loss, a fire official said.
The family had the space heater running as temperatures dipped into the 20s Sunday night.
No one was hurt in the blaze.
The family is getting help from friends and the Red Cross.