LENOIR COUNTY - A space heater overloaded an extension cord, leading to a fire Sunday night at a Lenoir County home.
The home is on the 3700 block of Tram Road, near Highway 258, in the Deep Run area.
Firefighters got the call just after 9 p.m.
The residents, a family of four including a child, are now displaced; the home is a total loss, a fire official said.
The family had the space heater running as temperatures dipped into the 20s Sunday night.
No one was hurt in the blaze.
The family is getting help from friends and the Red Cross.
- Updated Tornado watch continues for most of Eastern NC
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal