GIBSONVILLE, N.C. - Investigators say a space heater caused a fire that killed two children in Guilford County.
Authorities said the grandfather of 4-year-old Matthew Ridge-Powls and 1-year-old Jade Hawks tried to rescue them from both inside and outside the home after the fire started around 6:45 a.m. Saturday, but couldn't save them.
Investigators say the children's bodies were found together in the same bed.
Firefighters say the blaze started when a space heated got too close to some combustible material. It has been ruled an accident.
Authorities say the home didn't have working smoke detectors.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Kraft Heinz pulls plug on massive Unilever bid
- Updated Vice President Pence visits former Nazi concentration camp
- Priebus denies collusion between Trump campaign, Russian officials
- Bernstein: Trump's attacks on the press 'more treacherous' than Nixon's
- Syria ceasefire opens door for political solution, UN says