SMITHFIELD - One man's treasure is another man's pile of tires.
The News & Observer of Raleigh reports Rockside Tire has been setting up a pyramid-shaped stack of tires with lights, ornaments and a brightly lit star in Garner. Now the shop has set up a holiday tree in Smithfield and some people don't like it.
Store owner Charlie Hansen says the tree is creative.
But Town Councilman Charles Williams has asked the local fire department to see if it's legal to have what he calls a "pile of tires" near a wooden building.
Smithfield Fire Chief Patrick Harris says he can't find any local rules that would make the display illegal. But he says he will check with the state fire marshal to see if the tires should be removed.
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew