SMITHFIELD - One man's treasure is another man's pile of tires.
The News & Observer of Raleigh reports Rockside Tire has been setting up a pyramid-shaped stack of tires with lights, ornaments and a brightly lit star in Garner. Now the shop has set up a holiday tree in Smithfield and some people don't like it.
Store owner Charlie Hansen says the tree is creative.
But Town Councilman Charles Williams has asked the local fire department to see if it's legal to have what he calls a "pile of tires" near a wooden building.
Smithfield Fire Chief Patrick Harris says he can't find any local rules that would make the display illegal. But he says he will check with the state fire marshal to see if the tires should be removed.
- Updated Brexit: 4.2 million migrants still wait to learn their fate
- New Onslow County man facing larceny, other charges
- Updated Iraqi forces take key village near airport from ISIS
- Updated 'Stand your ground' hearing opens in Fla. theater shooting
- New Winterville Police looking for suspect in Subway robbery