FORT BRAGG - The Fayetteville Observer reported that Spc. Thomas Curtis pleaded guilty Monday to hazing, assault and other charges in the suicide of Pvt. Danny Chen of New York last fall in Afghanistan.
The 27-year-old Curtis from Hendersonville, Tenn., was sentenced to about three months in prison and a demotion to private. Prosecutors wanted up to nine months in prison, reduced rank, and a bad conduct discharge
Curtis apologized to Chen's family, saying he had gone too far in pushing the 19-year-old soldier.
Curtis is the fifth soldier from Chen's Alaska-based unit to stand trial. Eight soldiers are charged in the case.
- Updated Can Tokyo avoid the curse of the Olympics?
- Updated Trump: 'There could certainly be a softening' on immigration stance
- After gay couple's home is vandalized, a community rallies
- Potential Solar Farm stirring up controversy in Jones County
- Onslow County teachers participate in MindUP training