FORT BRAGG - The Fayetteville Observer reported that Spc. Thomas Curtis pleaded guilty Monday to hazing, assault and other charges in the suicide of Pvt. Danny Chen of New York last fall in Afghanistan.
The 27-year-old Curtis from Hendersonville, Tenn., was sentenced to about three months in prison and a demotion to private. Prosecutors wanted up to nine months in prison, reduced rank, and a bad conduct discharge
Curtis apologized to Chen's family, saying he had gone too far in pushing the 19-year-old soldier.
Curtis is the fifth soldier from Chen's Alaska-based unit to stand trial. Eight soldiers are charged in the case.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms