FORT BRAGG - A soldier previously sentenced in the hazing-related death of an Army private has received a bad conduct discharge after pleading guilty at Fort Bragg to more charges.
Spc. Travis Carden pleaded guilty Thursday to several charges related to the death of Pvt. Danny Chen, 19, who military officials said killed himself last year in Afghanistan after being harassed by other soldiers.
In addition to being discharged, Carden was sentenced to 10 months in prison and demotion to private.
In August, Carden was demoted from sergeant after he was convicted of hazing and maltreating Chen.
Carden is one of eight Fort Wainwright, Alaska, soldiers charged in Chen's death. The trials are at Fort Bragg because the unit was under the command of the 82nd Airborne Division.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend