FORT BRAGG - A soldier previously sentenced in the hazing-related death of an Army private has received a bad conduct discharge after pleading guilty at Fort Bragg to more charges.
Spc. Travis Carden pleaded guilty Thursday to several charges related to the death of Pvt. Danny Chen, 19, who military officials said killed himself last year in Afghanistan after being harassed by other soldiers.
In addition to being discharged, Carden was sentenced to 10 months in prison and demotion to private.
In August, Carden was demoted from sergeant after he was convicted of hazing and maltreating Chen.
Carden is one of eight Fort Wainwright, Alaska, soldiers charged in Chen's death. The trials are at Fort Bragg because the unit was under the command of the 82nd Airborne Division.
- New Rousseff's impeachment trial opens in Brazil
- Updated Navy surprises ailing WWII veteran at his home
- Updated Here's what happened to AIDS drug that spiked 5,000%
- Accused Pitt Co. murder suspect officially charged with murder of three children
- Greenville Fire & Rescue classifies overnight fire as intentional