FORT BRAGG, N.C. - The military says a soldier based at Fort Bragg has died in fighting in Afghanistan.
The Defense Department identified the soldier as 39-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Riley G. Stephens, 39, of Tolar, Texas. He died Friday in Wardak, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained from enemy small arms fire.
Stephens was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) at Fort Bragg.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Ryan Lochte to endorse crime prevention device
- New Beaufort County deputies arrest registered sex offender living in Chocowinity
- Updated Fire chief killed in workers' bus crash remembered as 'amazing'
- ECU professor predicts presidential election results
- Local pharmacist recommends ways to save on EpiPens