FORT BRAGG, N.C. - The military says a soldier based at Fort Bragg has died in fighting in Afghanistan.
The Defense Department identified the soldier as 39-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Riley G. Stephens, 39, of Tolar, Texas. He died Friday in Wardak, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained from enemy small arms fire.
Stephens was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) at Fort Bragg.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Kinston teen receives national award
- Updated Kinston Zumba instructor wins award, gets studio makeover
- Updated Democrats: WH contact with FBI an 'outrageous breach'
- Vidant Beaufort Hospital sets visiting restrictions for children
- Mexican-born NASCAR driver Daniel Suarez in the Daytona 500 spotlight