A 225-acre solar farm is expected to be in operation in Currituck County by the end of next year.
The Virginian-Pilot of Norfolk reports that Ecoplexus Inc. of San Francisco has state and county permits to begin construction on the $25 million project next spring.
The solar farm in Shawboro would have more than 86,000 solar panels and be capable of producing 20 megawatts of power - enough for almost 2,000 homes.
The company says the project would be the biggest of its kind in North Carolina east of Raleigh.
Dominion North Carolina Power would purchase the power from the solar farm.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County