CAMP LEJEUNE - The sister of a Marine based at Camp Lejeune says her brother has been killed in Afghanistan.
JoLyn Means says the Marines told her family Sunday night that her 23-year-old brother, Lance Cpl. Dale Means, was killed by an improvised explosive device in southern Helmand province.
Dale Means was deployed to Afghanistan in July. It was his first tour of duty.
Means graduated from New Prague High School in Minnesota in 2007 and married his wife Andrea, also a 2007 New Prague graduate, in October 2011. The couple lived off-base at Camp Lejeune, N.C., where Means was stationed.
Means enlisted in the Marines about two years ago. His sister says he "wanted to do something important in his life."
The Department of Defense has not confirmed his death.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms