EDGECOMBE COUNTY - There's new information in the case of a two-year-old allegedly being sexually assaulted. Deputies now say that toddler was also beaten and was in the care of a babysitter at the time of the assault. It allegedly happened at the babysitter's house in Tarboro.
The Edgecombe County Sheriff's Office said 41-year-old Cirilo Torido-Bastida of Macclesfield faces two counts of forcible sex offense and one count of assault inflicting serious bodily injury. He is jailed under an $855,000 secured bond.
The sheriff's office also said 20-year-old Chelsey Elane Speight of Tarboro is charged with accessory after the fact on all three counts and is jailed under a $355,000 secured bond.
A statement from the sheriff's office said Speight was babysitting the toddler and her sister for a friend on Nov. 3. When the mother returned, the 2-year-old had been beaten. The other child was unharmed.
The toddler is recovering at her grandmother's house.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend