FRANKLIN COUNTY, N.C. - A North Carolina sheriff says a 16-year-old girl likely hid her pregnancy from her parents and gave birth to a girl who was found buried in the family's backyard.
Franklin County Sheriff Jerry Jones said Tuesday the baby was born Sunday. He says investigators found the 8.5-pound baby girl Sunday night.
Investigators are awaiting a final report from the state medical examiner's office to determine the cause of death. Jones says authorities believe the baby was dead when she was buried but may have been alive at birth.
Jones says someone came to authorities after overhearing a conversation about the pregnancy.
At first, the family said no one had given birth. The father of the teenager later called authorities after finding evidence of the birth.
No charges have been filed.
- Election law doesn't care if Trump (or Clinton) ever concede
- Obama admits to laughing at Trump during debates
- How the GOP's first female presidential campaign manager manages Donald Trump
- Trump campaign launches nightly 'newscast' on Facebook
- More than 20 killed in attack on Pakistani police academy