FRANKLIN COUNTY, N.C. - A North Carolina sheriff says a 16-year-old girl likely hid her pregnancy from her parents and gave birth to a girl who was found buried in the family's backyard.
Franklin County Sheriff Jerry Jones said Tuesday the baby was born Sunday. He says investigators found the 8.5-pound baby girl Sunday night.
Investigators are awaiting a final report from the state medical examiner's office to determine the cause of death. Jones says authorities believe the baby was dead when she was buried but may have been alive at birth.
Jones says someone came to authorities after overhearing a conversation about the pregnancy.
At first, the family said no one had given birth. The father of the teenager later called authorities after finding evidence of the birth.
No charges have been filed.
- Updated NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Updated Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew