ELIZABETHTOWN, BLADEN COUNTY - Bladen County authorities say a man jailed for attempted murder was assaulted behind bars by one of the people he's accused of trying to kill.
The sheriff's office said Thursday that 27-year-old Eric Christopher Bennett has been in jail since February on the attempted murder charge. Officials say 39-year-old Shawn Lindbergh Melvin was one of the victims in the case.
According to the sheriff's office, Melvin was arrested Wednesday and jailed on several charges, including failing to appear in court and driving with a revoked license.
Authorities say as soon as a jailer placed Melvin into the cell with Bennett, a fight broke out. Bennett was slammed to the floor and suffered a head wound. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment.
Melvin now faces an assault charge.
- Vietnam Traveling Memorial Wall arrives in Morehead City
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen