DUPLIN COUNTY - The Duplin County sheriff has released the name of a 70-year-old man who fell into a pond and died.
Solomon Henderson, of Kinston, was fishing at Maxwell's Mill Pond, west of Pink Hill, when he fell from his canoe into the water, said Duplin County Sheriff Blake Wallace. It happened at about 6 p.m. Thursday.
Witnesses on the other side of the pond saw what happened, pulled Henderson out of the water, and began performing CPR, Sheriff Wallace said. First-responders took over CPR but could not revive the 70-year-old.
Henderson's exact cause of death is under investigation, officials said.
The incident appeared to be accidental, said Sheriff Blake Wallace.
- Updated Christian bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' lose discrimination appeal
- Updated Parent punches student in the stomach in a school hallway, then just walks away
- Singer Kellie Pickler's father arrested in eastern N.C.
- Spidey-strength: Aussie arachnid carts off mouse-sized snack
- Battle for Mosul: How ISIS is fighting to keep its Iraqi stronghold