DUPLIN COUNTY - The Duplin County sheriff has released the name of a 70-year-old man who fell into a pond and died.
Solomon Henderson, of Kinston, was fishing at Maxwell's Mill Pond, west of Pink Hill, when he fell from his canoe into the water, said Duplin County Sheriff Blake Wallace. It happened at about 6 p.m. Thursday.
Witnesses on the other side of the pond saw what happened, pulled Henderson out of the water, and began performing CPR, Sheriff Wallace said. First-responders took over CPR but could not revive the 70-year-old.
Henderson's exact cause of death is under investigation, officials said.
The incident appeared to be accidental, said Sheriff Blake Wallace.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend