CARTERET COUNTY - Atlantic Elementary School will open as a shelter for Carteret County residents starting at 6 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 27, Jo Ann Spencer with the Department of Emergency Services said.
There are no plans to evacuate residents ahead of the storm, but Spencer said the move is being made as a precaution. If attending the shelter, citizens are urged to bring their shelter kits with their personal supplies and necessities.
Emergency managers said the current forecast shows that Hurricane Sandy will not directly hit the coast. However, heavy winds and rain will still impact the county. Gusts could range from 50-70 mph.
- Updated Tornado warnings issued for Duplin, Tyrrell, Dare counties.
- Body found along side of road in Jacksonville
- Updated Law enforcement investigating deputy-involved shooting in Ayden
- UPDATE: No bomb discovered after threat made at West Craven Middle School
- Seven Springs man dies after fight with detention officers