MOREHEAD CITY, CARTERET COUNTY - Morehead City Police have arrested a registered sex offender accused of trying to kidnap a teenage girl on her way to school.
According to an arrest warrant, 56-year-old James Piver Jr. was staying at the Budget Inn on Arendell Street on Friday, May 9. Police told NewsChannel 12 that Piver tried talking to a 12-year-old girl when she was walking to her bus stop.
Investigators said Piver threw a letter in a bush beside the Budget Inn and asked the girl to pick it up. In the letter, Piver allegedly asked her if they could meet up and hang out.
Police said the girl immediately reported the incident to her parents.
Piver has been charged with attempted second-degree kidnappintg. District Attorney Scott Thomas said Piver is behind bars under $350,000 secure bond.
NewsChannel 12 checked state records and learned that Piver had been charged at least ten times in the past on various sex-related offenses. Piver just got out of prison on Feb. 5 after spending nearly 10 years there for a 2005 conviction of indecent liberties with a 6-year-old child.
In 1993, he was convicted of indecent liberties with a 9-year-old, according to records.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend