NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - A group of people, including children, escaped an early-morning fire in a New Bern neighborhood.
The fire happened at an apartment unit in Trent Court at 3:09 a.m. Wednesday, according to the New Bern Police Department.
Officials said the fire was ignited by grease. Two to three children were among those who escaped, said police.
When our crew arrived at the scene, police, fire crews and Emergency Services were there. Fire crews were assessing the damage and working to clean up debris.
NewsChannel 12 is working to get more details.