BEAUFORT COUNTY - An 80-year-old man is dead and two others are injured following a Friday night wreck in Beaufort County, troopers said.
Troopers said the driver of a tow truck and the driver of a pickup truck were pulled over to the side of the road along Highway 264 West around 6 p.m. to exchange information. That's when the 80-year-old man, behind the wheel of a SUV, careened toward them and pinned one of them between the pickup and tow truck and knocked the other into the highway, troopers said.
Troopers said all three men were taken to Vidant Beaufort Hospital where the 80-year-old was pronounced dead. The other two men were transferred to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville. Their conditions remain unknown, troopers said.
An autopsy is underway to determine whether or not the senior citizen was alive at the time of the wreck.
The crash remains under investigation.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Coast Guard searches for missing crew of capsized Swan Quarter fishing boat
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn