Sen. Ed Jones (D-Halifax), 62, passed away Friday, December 14, 2012 following a battle with cancer.
Jones served three terms in the North Carolina Senate, where he represented Bertie, Chowan, Gates, Halifax, Hertford, Northampton, and Perquimans counties. He also served one term in the North Carolina House of Representatives.
Jones spent most of his career as a North Carolina Highway Patrolman before being elected Mayor of Enfield.
"Sen. Ed Jones was a dedicated public servant who cared deeply for people – his family, friends, constituents, colleagues and even strangers," said Senate President Pro Tempore Phil Berger. "He was truly one of the finest people I have ever met, and I will miss him greatly."
- Updated Officer pleads not guilty in Philando Castile killing
- Updated Will Trump get his commerce secretary?
- New One arrested, two wanted in Onslow County break-in
- Lenor County business to add 25 jobs, $4.5 million in investments
- Nunes: 'We still have not seen any evidence' of Trump campaign, Russia contact