Sen. Ed Jones (D-Halifax), 62, passed away Friday, December 14, 2012 following a battle with cancer.
Jones served three terms in the North Carolina Senate, where he represented Bertie, Chowan, Gates, Halifax, Hertford, Northampton, and Perquimans counties. He also served one term in the North Carolina House of Representatives.
Jones spent most of his career as a North Carolina Highway Patrolman before being elected Mayor of Enfield.
"Sen. Ed Jones was a dedicated public servant who cared deeply for people – his family, friends, constituents, colleagues and even strangers," said Senate President Pro Tempore Phil Berger. "He was truly one of the finest people I have ever met, and I will miss him greatly."
- Updated NC DOT's Ferry Division prepares for tropical system
- Updated Tropical storm warning, small craft advisory issued for Carteret County
- Updated Hershey crashes 11% after chocolate merger talks end
- Updated Chicago, aka 'Chi-raq' likely to top 2015 in number of shootings
- Updated Gene Wilder, star of 'Willy Wonka,' dead at 83