CARTERET COUNTY - The U.S. Coast Guard announced Monday that the search for a body in the Bogue Sound has been suspended.
According to Coast Guardsmen, two people on jet skis told authorities they saw a body in the Bogue Sound at about 1 p.m. Sunday.
But as of Monday morning, there was no sign of the body and no report of anyone missing, said Major Jason Wank of the Carteret County Sheriff's Office. As a result, the search was suspended.
In addition to the Coast Guard, troopers and deputies took part in the operation.
The Bogue Sound separates mainland Carteret County from the Bogue Banks, which includes the towns of Emerald Isle and Atlantic Beach.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County