DARE COUNTY - The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended its search for a missing kayaker after a body was recovered.
The Dare County Sheriff's Office has identified the body found near Kill Devil Hills Thursday as Jonathan Rodwell Day, of Harbor View Drive in Colington. The investigation into his death is ongoing.
Coast Guardsmen said they received a call at about 9:40 p.m. Wednesday that a kayaker was missing in the Albermarle Sound off Rhodoms Point. Two helicopters and water crews were sent out to search for the missing man Wednesday night and Thursday morning.
Coast Guardsmen said they spent seven hours, covering about 30 square miles, looking for the kayaker. The search was suspended after Day's body was found near Kill Devil Hills, according to the Coast Guard.
Crews also recovered a 19-foot yellow kayak and some fishing gear (pictured above, courtesy of U.S. Coast Guard District 5).
- Updated Aftershocks after 2 powerful quakes in central Italy
- Updated Calais Jungle: Children have 'nowhere to go'
- Updated Apple expected to launch first MacBook Pro in 4 years
- Updated After one alleged attack reported, more follow in UW-Madison sex assault case
- Updated Clinton turns to local radio in her campaign's final days