Mills River, N.C. - Authorities are warning visitors to stay away from a forest in North Carolina while they search for an armed suspect.
An area of the Pisgah National Forest extending between Asheville and the South Carolina border was closed Sunday while officers seek 38-year-old Phillip Stroupe II of Weaverville. The Transylvania County Sheriff's Department say's he's a suspect in a break-in.
Sheriff's deputies say they were chasing Stroupe's vehicle Saturday through an area popular with hikers and campers, adding he stole a mountain bike and pedaled into the woods.
Roads and trails south of the Blue Ridge Parkway and east of U.S Highway were closed to let investigators conduct their search.
- Updated Sneads Ferry residents answer call to help for Christmas
- Updated Members of ECU basketball team visit Vidant children's hospital
- Local father charged with death of 9-month old daughter
- Organization pays holiday travel expenses for Purple Heart recipients
- Greenville Police distribute 100 meals to needy families in area