RALEIGH, WAKE COUNTY - The State Bureau of Investigation says Onslow County, along with Pitt, Craven, Edgecombe and nine other counties are currently involved in an investigation into Instagram accounts that shared photos of nude teenagers.
The SBI obtained a search warrant for user information and content for 15 Instagram accounts in its probe of nude photos of students in Wake County.
Court papers show the SBI wanted to find out who signed up as followers of the accounts.
An SBI spokeswoman says additional search warrants are likely to be returned as the investigation continues. The investigation has not resulted in any charges or arrests as of today.
Almost 70 nude and sexual images of local high school students were exposed to thousands of people Feb. 11.
Special Agent Kevin G. Roughton said in the warrant application that information connected to the accounts could help in bringing charges of second-degree sexual exploitation of a minor and cyberbullying.
- Updated Supreme Court refuses to restore voter ID, reduce early voting days
- Updated FSU football player wins hearts sharing lunch
- Updated Camp Lejeune reports death of Marine in Beulaville
- Updated NFL clears three more players in PEDs investigation
- Updated Kratom to join heroin, LSD on Schedule I drug list