AYDEN - A Pitt County man who played Santa Claus was arrested for allegedly committing sex crimes against a 13-year-old girl, according to court documents.
Norman McGraw, 62, of Weyerhaeuser Rd. in Ayden, was charged with one count of indecent liberties with a child and one count of tattooing a person under 18.
According to documents, McGraw was 60 years old when he committed the crimes against the 13-year-old girl, between Jan. 2010 and March 2011. The suspect was a friend of the child's family, deputies said.
McGraw had played Santa Claus at several events around the area over the past several years, deputies said. He had no prior criminal history.
"That's shocking, to be a Santa Claus and do that," Tammy Garris, McGraw's neighbor, said.
Garris said she did not know McGraw well, other than seeing him outside around his yard. Still, she said she would not have expected this.
"When I met him he didn't seem to be that kind of person, but that was years ago," she said.
McGraw was being held at the Pitt County Detention Center under a $1 million bond.
- New Havelock PD seeks person of interest in club stabbing
- New Seven Springs man ends up in ICU after fight with detention officers
- Suspects in animal cruelty case to appear in court Monday
- National Boat Safety Week encourages safety in the water
- Pitt County NAACP to hold meeting to discuss families, mental health