AYDEN - A Pitt County man who played Santa Claus was arrested for allegedly committing sex crimes against a 13-year-old girl, according to court documents.
Norman McGraw, 62, of Weyerhaeuser Rd. in Ayden, was charged with one count of indecent liberties with a child and one count of tattooing a person under 18.
According to documents, McGraw was 60 years old when he committed the crimes against the 13-year-old girl, between Jan. 2010 and March 2011. The suspect was a friend of the child's family, deputies said.
McGraw had played Santa Claus at several events around the area over the past several years, deputies said. He had no prior criminal history.
"That's shocking, to be a Santa Claus and do that," Tammy Garris, McGraw's neighbor, said.
Garris said she did not know McGraw well, other than seeing him outside around his yard. Still, she said she would not have expected this.
"When I met him he didn't seem to be that kind of person, but that was years ago," she said.
McGraw was being held at the Pitt County Detention Center under a $1 million bond.
- Updated Orlando hospitals won't bill survivors of Pulse nightclub shooting
- Updated 12 killed in Kabul university attack
- Heroin laced with elephant tranquilizer hits the streets
- Clinton blasts Trump attacks on foundation
- New waterfront park and boat access is symbol of recovery, dedication planned Saturday