GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - A man is in a Greenville hospital after a river rescue.
People walking on the Tar River boardwalk spotted a man struggling in the Tar River and called 911 just after 2:30 p.m., according to a news release from Greenville Fire/Rescue/EMS Battalion Chief .
Within five minutes, rescuers had launched their boat at the ramp off of 1st Street, Terry said.
Crews spotted the man 200 yards downstream, Terry said.
The river is swollen and has a swift current, Terry said.
The unidentified victim was found to be awake but in distress; rescuers had to get into the 45-degree water to get him to safety, Terry said.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County