RALEIGH, WAKE COUNTY - Authorities say a man who was operating a ride at the North Carolina State Fair has been charged with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon after the ride injured five people.
The fair said in a news release Saturday that 46-year-old Timothy Dwayne Tutterrow, of Quitman, Ga., had been arrested. Witnesses say the ride had stopped and people were getting off when it started moving again.
Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison said after inspecting the ride, investigators determined it had been tampered with and critical safety devices were compromised.
Tutterrow is employed by an independent ride contractor. A telephone call to Tutterrow was not immediately returned.
Three people are still in the hospital.
- Updated Tropical Storm Matthew forms in the Caribbean could have impacts to Eastern North Carolina
- Updated Trump peddles Google conspiracy theory
- UPDATE: Missing 11-year-old North Carolina girl found safe
- CIA Director: We 'have to assume' terrorist activity in US
- Trump campaign talking points: Bring up Monica