Fair officials revealed Friday that a prior complaint was made about a ride that malfunctioned at the N.C. State Fair Thursday night and injured five people.
The incident happened around 9:17 p.m. on a ride called the 'Vortex,' which is along the lower (or original) midway section behind the Expo Center on the west side of the fairgrounds near gates 4 and 5.
Wake County Sheriff Donnie Harrison said an initial investigation showed the ride had stopped and people were getting off when it suddenly started up again.
He said two people suffered serious injuries and three others had minor injuries. Some of the people injured may have been family members. A ride operator was also among the injured.
All the victims were between the ages of 14 and 39 years old. Authorities said they requested their names not be released.
Friday morning, three of the victims were still at WakeMed Hospital, with one person in critical condition.
An eyewitness told ABC11 that he had just gotten off the fair ride when it started up again. He said he then saw two young victims fall.
The witness said a boy was knocked unconscious, but was awake when paramedics arrived. He said a young girl appeared to have a head injury, and the ride operator fell about 20 to 30 feet onto his side.
The man described the scene as people "domino-ing out of the ride."
"I heard three or four bangs, I mean it sounded like baseballs hitting an aluminum floor," witness Jonathan Stanley said. "I just ran over and I saw the bodies, I mean, I was right at the fence. There was one guy in particular; he was all the way back against the back of the ride. It looked as if he had flown out and maybe hit it and then maybe came down face first."
"They were falling like rain drops," Max Bryn said. " A person fell and landed head first on the ground and was just completely knocked unconscious."
Witnesses also said one ride attendant was visibly upset.
"They were hitting the metal board right in front of us where the ride was on, non-stop," Bryn said.
"The ride attendant was crying, just torn up ... was on his knees ... all shaken up," Stanley said.
"I'm sure he thought it had something to do with him and it may or may not, but I'm sure that in that moment he felt guilty," Stone Gully said.
N.C. State Fair officials said they do not train ride operators, the ride companies do, and they just monitor that the operators are paying attention.
"It appears to be an accident and things like this happen," Harrison said shortly after the incident. "We hate it because it is supposed to be a fun time for families."
However during a news conference Friday morning, Harrison said they are treating their investigation as criminal -- as they do every investigation.
He said the investigation is ongoing and will "take time" because they have a lot of witnesses to interview.
Harrison has urged anyone with video of the accident or the aftermath to contact the Sheriff's Office.
Fair officials said they will be looking at diagnostics and all the safety systems of the ride.
They also revealed a complaint about the 'Vortex' ride was filed Monday night about a bad switch on the system that locks passengers into the seat. They said a repair was made and the ride was later reopened.
The Department of Labor said the rides are inspected three times a day.
The ride was manufactured by Technical Park International of Italy. The ride is owned by Family Attractions out of Georgia. This is the first time it had been at the N.C. State Fair.
Fair spokesman Brian Long told ABC11 he was not sure who actually operates the ride.
There are two rides named 'Vortex' on the fairgrounds, but they are different according to fair officials.