NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - U.S. Rep. G.K. Butterfield (D-NC 1st District) presented a $400,000 check to the New Bern Housing Authority Tuesday.
New Bern is one of nine cities that has received Choice Neighborhoods Planning grants from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Rep. Butterfield said the money will be used to improve the Trent Court and Craven Terrace housing developments.
According to Rep. Butterfield, the planning grant will be used to help people in these communities have a safe, sanitary and decent place to live.
A total of $4.37 million has been awarded to nine cities in all, including Baton Rouge, Philadelphia, Denver and Los Angeles. The money will be used to help revitalize and transform public or other HUD-assisted housing and distressed neighborhoods.
- Updated Autism link to herpes during pregnancy may be overstated, experts say
- New Silver Alert issued for missing Beaufort County man
- New North Carolina lawmaker introduces 'life at conception' bill
- Updated Verizon to test 5G in 11 cities
- Updated Astronomers discover 7 Earth-sized planets orbiting nearby star