NEW BERN - A historic home that General Ambrose Burnside used as a headquarters during the Civil War caught fire, as a result of renovation, investigators said.
The home , on East Front Street and Johnson Street in New Bern, was getting its paint stripped. But at around 12:45 p.m., flames erupted as a result of workers warming up the paint prior to removing it, fire officials said.
No one was injured. But the fire left a hole in the home's ceiling. A family had just bought the house to restore it.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms