BROWN SUMMIT - The skeletal remains of a 57-year-old woman reported missing last spring have been found in a wooded area of Guilford County.
Sheriff B.J. Barnes says deer hunters found the remains of Nancy Twyman Jenkins at around 10:30 a.m. Monday in a thicket about a half a mile from the woman's home.
Jenkins was last seen May 31, and her vehicle and other personal belongings were still at her home. Barnes says deputies had responded to a suspicious call at the home but didn't release further information.
An autopsy is pending to determine how Jenkins died. Sheriff's Maj. Tom Sheppard said there had been no effort to conceal the remains, which still were clothed.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms