NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - An Eastern Carolina high school student received an Offer of Appointment to the United States Naval Academy.
The Naval Academy is a prestigious and competitive program that trains young men and women for a career in the U.S. Navy or Marine Corps.
Tala Done goes to New Bern High School and has been a member of the Navy J.R.O.T.C program since he was a freshman. His family moved to the United States in 2005, to escape military and ethnic oppression in Burma.
Done says this is the best thing to happen to him.
"The American dream definitely does exist," he said."I couldn't be happier."
Teachers and friends who know Done say he will do well.
"Dedicated and disciplined," were the two words his instructor, Roland Clark, used to describe him.
Done will start his Naval Academy program in July. The program is paying for his expenses.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Updated Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction