CRAVEN COUNTY - A local woman, who held the world record for "longest marriage" with her late husband, has passed away.
Zelmyra G. Fisher, of James City, died peacefully Wednesday morning, according to the New Bern Sun Journal. She was 105 years old.
Zelmyra was married to her husband, Herbert, for 86 years, 9 months, and 16 days as of Feb. 27, 2011. That was the day when Herbert passed away, at age 105. Guinness World Records officially recognized the couple for having the longest marriage ever.
NewsChannel 12 talked with them in May, 2010 about their world record. At that time, they lived in a house, with some help from a caretaker.
The couple told us that when they married on May 13, 1924., there was no alcohol at the wedding reception, since it was during Prohibition.
The couple said patience was what kept their marriage going for almost a century.
"You just have to love each other," Zelmyra said.
Zelmyra is survived by two sons, two daughters, 10 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
- Updated Gold Star mom on Kaepernick: I see a flag that draped my son's casket
- Sudan Shriners to hold fundraiser to assist Louisiana flood victims
- Clinton at fundraiser: 'I do not know which Donald Trump will show up' at debates
- Updated Trump disavows robo-call from David Duke
- Chocowinity commissioner speaks out after assault charges