KINSTON - A man who lost the use of his arms and legs in a diving accident graduated from Lenoir Community College Tuesday.
John Grady, Jr. graduated with an associate degree in business. Grady became a quadriplegic in June of 2004. He was diving into White Lake and hit his head on the bottom. A vertebrae in his neck was broken. Grady immediately lost the use of his arms and legs.
Grady was married to Kristy Grady in 2002. Kristy was there when John broke his neck. She pulled him from the water when she realized something was wrong.
John is confined to a wheel chair, but that hasn't stopped the couple from being successful. Since that time, the Grady's have started their own real estate business.. Kristy graduated from LCC with a masters degree.
Even though it took John seven years, he graduated with a GPA of 3.8.
The couple plans to work on their real estate business.
- Danger on the roads, at least 14 hurt after storms in N.C.
- One woman's mission brings museum closer to reality
- Unique artifacts awaiting display at Carolina Museum of the Marine
- More than 600 attend Memorial Day ceremony at New Bern cemetery
- Marines at Camp Lejeune put Memorial Day into their own words