LEXINGTON, N.C. - A young child and a pregnant woman were killed Saturday when their family's pontoon boat collided with a powerboat on High Rock Lake in Davidson County, authorities said.
Wildlife officials said a speedboat collided and went over the top of a pontoon boat around 12:30 p.m. Saturday on the northern part of the lake near Linwood.
FOX8 News reported that all the victims were family members on the pontoon boat. The child was between 2 and 4 years old. The woman was ejected from the boat and her body was recovered by a search crew later in the afternoon.
Another man suffered critical head injuries. No one on the speedboat was injured.
Officials are trying to determine what caused the collision. They say speed may have been a factor, though there is no indication that alcohol was involved.
No one on the pontoon boat was wearing life jackets, officials told the TV station. They said the speed boat was driving well over 25 mph in a shallow part of the lake.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Former IU player alleges abuse at hands of Bob Knight
- Updated Drivers asked to be on watch as deer appear more on roadways
- Updated Man shot dead outside US Embassy in Kenya after knife attack
- Updated Woman wins $1 million trying to teach husband a lesson about lotteries
- Michael Phelps secretly got married