UNITED STATES - Ticketholders aren't the only ones who benefit from a win like the one expected in the latest Powerball drawing, estimated at $425 million so far.
Stores known for selling winning tickets also see their business pick up as superstitious dreamers pour in, hoping luck will strike again.
The jackpot for Wednesday's drawing would fetch a single winner a lump-sum payment after taxes of about $244.7 million.
It's not close to the record $590.5 million Powerball jackpot won by a Florida woman in May. But Multi-State Lottery Association executive director Chuch Strutt says if no winning combination for the major jackpot is drawn Wednesday, "we would be in world record territory" going into Saturday's drawing.
The world's highest lottery jackpot was a $656 million Mega Millions jackpot sold in March 2012.
- 49ers QB sits during national anthem in protest
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Updated Italy earthquake: Amid the rubble, a couple says 'I do'
- Updated Donald Trump: Mika must apologize for 'gang attack' on Pastor Mark Burns