NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - A woman has admitted to lying about being sexually assaulted at Union Point Park, New Bern Police told NewsChannel 12.
Police said they first began investigating on April 29, when an 18-year-old woman reported she was sexually assaulted in a restroom at Union Point Park at 210 E. Front Street. The woman told police the attacker was a 17-year-old male who she knew, and she was initially unsure about pressing charges.
But police said they conducted several follow-up interviews during the investigation, and on Wednesday, the woman withdrew her original statements. The woman admitted she told a lie, saying the incident was a consensual encounter, police told NewsChannel 12.
Investigators said they have discussed the case with the District Attorney's Office, and have decided no charges will be issued.
- Updated Officer pleads not guilty in Philando Castile killing
- Updated Will Trump get his commerce secretary?
- New One arrested, two wanted in Onslow County break-in
- Lenor County business to add 25 jobs, $4.5 million in investments
- Nunes: 'We still have not seen any evidence' of Trump campaign, Russia contact