TOPSAIL BEACH, PENDER COUNTY - Police said a woman drowned in the surf at Topsail Beach.
Laurel King, 66, drowned Monday, investigators said. The former town employee told a friend she wanted to get out but before she could, she went under.
Police said it's not clear whether King suffered some sort of medical problem before she went under. The drowning happened on a section of beach where there are no lifeguards.
It was the second drowning at Topsail Beach this year.
- Updated Trump's path to 270 runs through ... Maine?
- Updated WikiLeaks-released memo outlines Bill Clinton's lucrative speeches
- Updated Hillary Clinton to hold election night party under real glass ceiling
- Tequila, dance parties and Adele: Hillary Clinton finally lets loose
- Dems sue GOP over Trump's 'rigged' complaints