KINSTON, LENOIR COUNTY - A Lenoir County woman had her first court appearance on Friday for allegedly stabbing a man in the chest on Thursday afternoon.
The Kinston Department of Public Safety said 42-year-old Shana Shenele Hopper has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.
Police said Hopper stabbed 55-year-old Michael Anthony Wiggins, causing a serious cut to his upper chest. It happened at about 3:45 p.m. Thursday on Thompson Street in Kinston.
Hopper allegedly stabbed the victim on her own birthday.
An ambulance took Wiggins to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville. Kinston Police said Friday afternoon Wiggins was listed in serious condition.
Police said Hopper is an acquaintance of the victim, but did not explain a motive. However, neighbors say the pair are in a relationship.
At last check, Hopper was being held under 76,000 dollars bond.
Police said Hopper was also a suspect in a stabbing last summer. A man was stabbed in the back after an argument, but that man did not press charges, according to investigators.
- Updated Aftershocks after 2 powerful quakes in central Italy
- Updated Calais Jungle: Children have 'nowhere to go'
- Updated Apple expected to launch first MacBook Pro in 4 years
- Updated After one alleged attack reported, more follow in UW-Madison sex assault case
- Updated Clinton turns to local radio in her campaign's final days