NEW BERN - A man fought off a would-be robber and held the suspect at gunpoint until police arrived, according to investigators.
James Tavarez Little, 31, tried to rob three men on Wind Hill Ct. in New Bern early Tuesday morning, according to police.
The three men were sitting in a car just before 1 a.m. when Little walked up and held a gun to one of the men and demanded money, police said.
Little "had the gun pointed at the back of my neck," said Charles Smith, one of the victims.
But Smith decided to fight back.
"It was like something went off in my head and I was like, 'I'm not letting that guy take everything I have,'" Smith said.
Smith grabbed the gun and turned it on Little, then held him at gunpoint until officers arrived, police said.
Little has been charged with attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon, assault by pointing a gun, possession of stolen property, and felon in possession of a firearm.
The gun used was stolen, police said.
No one was hurt.
- Updated 4 reasons why Venezuela became the world's worst economy
- Updated Mercedes-Benz unveils first pickup truck
- Updated Women now drink nearly as much alcohol as men, study finds
- Updated Eight more local counties among 13 additional to receive Disaster Food Assistance
- New One of two workers to die in Boston trench collapse from New Bern