NEW BERN - A man fought off a would-be robber and held the suspect at gunpoint until police arrived, according to investigators.
James Tavarez Little, 31, tried to rob three men on Wind Hill Ct. in New Bern early Tuesday morning, according to police.
The three men were sitting in a car just before 1 a.m. when Little walked up and held a gun to one of the men and demanded money, police said.
Little "had the gun pointed at the back of my neck," said Charles Smith, one of the victims.
But Smith decided to fight back.
"It was like something went off in my head and I was like, 'I'm not letting that guy take everything I have,'" Smith said.
Smith grabbed the gun and turned it on Little, then held him at gunpoint until officers arrived, police said.
Little has been charged with attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon, assault by pointing a gun, possession of stolen property, and felon in possession of a firearm.
The gun used was stolen, police said.
No one was hurt.
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms