CAROLINA BEACH, N.C. - Police in Carolina Beach are working to identify a man whose body was found in the surf by a turtle patrol.
WWAY in Wilmington reports officers responded Friday morning to a call about a man who was unresponsive on the beach in the vicinity of Carolina Beach Avenue. A member of the Carolina Beach Sea Turtle Project found the body.
Police Chief Harry Humphries said it appears the man suffered a gunshot wound, but it was not clear if the wound was self-inflicted. Authorities would only say the man had suffered head trauma, and investigators don't know how he died.
- Updated Court sets September 13 deadline for Clinton FBI emails
- Updated Kinston welcomes professional baseball back to Grainger Stadium
- Updated AP: Brazilian police charge Lochte with filing false report
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Men have 'gotta get over' their issues with equal pay
- Updated Trump: No legal status for undocumented immigrants