CAROLINA BEACH, N.C. - Police in Carolina Beach are working to identify a man whose body was found in the surf by a turtle patrol.
WWAY in Wilmington reports officers responded Friday morning to a call about a man who was unresponsive on the beach in the vicinity of Carolina Beach Avenue. A member of the Carolina Beach Sea Turtle Project found the body.
Police Chief Harry Humphries said it appears the man suffered a gunshot wound, but it was not clear if the wound was self-inflicted. Authorities would only say the man had suffered head trauma, and investigators don't know how he died.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend