NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - A teenager remained in jail Monday night, accused of sending a police officer to the emergency room with a leg injury.
Marshawn McCoy Jackson, 18, allegedly kicked his leg backwards while being arrested on Chattawka Lane in New Bern Saturday night.
The kick hit New Bern Police Officer L.A. Heckman, who sustained a soft-tissue injury and will require future knee treatments because of the injury, according to authorities.
Police were originally called to the scene because Jackson had pulled hair out of a woman's scalp in an assault, officers said.
Heckman's injury led to her being removed from her regular duty, according to Lt. Ronda Allen of the New Bern Police Department.
It is unclear when Heckman will be able to return to regular duty, Allen said.
"We train [for] officer safety," Allen said.
"We preach it, we live it, we breathe it."
Jackson's charges include felony assault on an officer, causing serious injury.
- Updated North Korean ministries plotted Kim's death, spies say
- Updated NAACP to hold news conferences announcing boycott
- Updated Bergdahl lawyers will ask U.S. Army court to dismiss case
- Trayvon Martin's death five years later
- NC Emergency Management Reps in Snow Hill to help with recovery applications