GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - Police said they are searching for two suspects who shot a man during a home invasion in Greenville.
According to officers, the two men broke into a home at College View Apartments on the 2300 block of East 10th Street at about 8:25 p.m. Wednesday. The intruders then shot the man inside, police said.
That man has been identified as 25-year-old Blake Shackelford. His roommates, 23-year-old Maci Rae Billiot and 30-year-old Daniel Castro, were also in the apartment at the time of the incident but they were not harmed.
NewsChannel 12 spoke with Shackelford's mother on the phone. She told us her son was playing on his xbox in the dark when the suspects came inside through an unlocked door. She said after a struggle, her son was shot several times before the intruders left.
Shackelford was rushed to the hospital. His mother said he is stable at Vidant. He underwent surgery and made it out okay. She said he is currently not speaking a lot as it hurts to talk.
Nothing was taken from the home, investigators told NewsChannel 12.
At last check, a motive in the shooting had not been released. No suspect descriptions were available either. Anyone with information is asked to contact Pitt-Greenville Crime Stoppers at 252-758-7777.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Updated Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn