NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - Police have arrested four men accused of robbing a teenage couple at gunpoint in downtown New Bern.
From Saturday to Monday, investigators arrested 19-year-old Landre Tamas Newsome, of Cove City, 19-year-old Doshe Cowan Best, of New Bern, 16-year-old Jamal Trevon Edwards, of Craven Terrace, and 19-year-old Jaques Deandre Nelson, of New Bern.
Police said the suspects robbed Daniel Tripp and Katelyn Peluso at about 10 p.m. on Aug. 26 near the walkway behind the New Bern Convention Center. Both victims are teenagers, investigators said.
Investigators said the victims were walking near the water when the four suspects came up behind them, punched Tripp in the face, and then took Peluso's cell phone. Police said one of the suspects had a handgun.
All four suspects have been charged with robbery with a dangerous weapon.
"I can't believe it because it's always been such a nice place to come to," said New Bern resident Shirley Gay. "I've never seen anything like this happen."
Police said the robbery was an isolated, random incident.
- Man arrested in fatal stabbing of 2 nuns in Mississippi
- Italy earthquake: A country in mourning begins burying the dead
- Amid Zika fears, Florida theme parks offer mosquito repellent
- Vandemere Waterfront Park reopens five years after Hurricane Irene destruction
- Stand Up Outfitters 5th annual Colonial paddle board race