NEW BERN - Police in New Bern said a May 28 fire at a downtown warehouse is now being investigated as arson.
The warehouse, located on Craven Street in between Queen and Dunn streets, went up in flames around 7 p.m. that day, and multiple crews responded. Fire crews weren't able to quickly gain access to the interior of the building because the integrity of the first level started to deteriorate. The roof collapsed during the fire, and one firefighter was treated for overheating.
The State Bureau of Investigation was dispatched and was en route to help with the case while the fire was still burning.
At the time of the fire, officials said the warehouse is owned by the state, but may have been leased to a local company.
No one was inside when the fire broke out.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction