PINK HILL, LENOIR - Police said they are searching for three armed men who assaulted and shot a man in his camper in Lenoir County.
According to Pink Hill Police Chief Joey Thigpen, officers found 45-year-old Darryl Mitchell with a gunshot wound at 503 Pineview Avenue just before 3 a.m. Wednesday.
Mitchell told NewsChannel 12 that three men, armed with a revolver and two semi-automatics, entered his camper. The man with the revolver then pointed the gun to Mitchell's chest and looked him in the eye. Mitchell said when he turned, the man shot him. The bullet went into his arm and out his back, Mitchell explained.
Thigpen said the suspects also hit Mitchell over the head with a pistol. The victim was treated at Vidant Medical Center and has been released.
The three suspects, described as black males wearing masks, escaped in a four-door car that may have been burgundy in color, Chief Thigpen said. The men were heading toward Duplin County.
It was unknown if anything was stolen from the camper, said Chief Thigpen.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Pink Hill Police Department at 252-568-4102.
- Updated Illinois to yank billions from Wells Fargo amid scandal
- Gingrich rebukes Trump for late-night Twitter rant
- Clinton improves edge over Trump in new national poll
- Dollar General facing $250K bill over 2 bottles of juice
- Weld 'not sure anybody is more qualified than Hillary Clinton' to be president