GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - Police say a man who robbed two gas stations in Greenville was arrested as he was planning a third robbery.
According to the Greenville Police Department, 23-year-old Keith Michael Jones admitted to robbing the WilcoHess at 3000 South Memorial Dr. on Sunday and the Kangaroo Express at 1531 SE Greenville Blvd. Monday night.
Investigators said they were conducting a surveillance operation Wednesday night after receiving information that the suspect was planning to rob a third gas station.
At about 9:34 p.m. Wednesday, detectives saw Jones on foot near the Trade WilcoHess at 502 SW Greenville Blvd., police said. He appeared to be watching the convenience store from a nearby business, said investigators.
Detectives said when they approached Jones, he ran away. Police later found Jones' car nearby, with a plastic mask that was allegedly used in the other robberies, said investigators. Jones was arrested and confessed to the crimes, police said.
Jones is being held in the Pitt County Detention Center under a $100,000 secure bond. Police said Jones has several prior drug charges and a weapons violation.
- One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating