FAYETTEVILLE, CUMBERLAND COUNTY - A teen has died after he was shot during a confrontation with Fayetteville police.
Police were called around 6 p.m. Sunday by a woman who said she had been assaulted by her child's father. Lt. Todd Joyce says an officer confronted a suspect and took him into custody.
Joyce says the suspect's mother and others confronted the officer. Joyce says the officer ordered the crowd to stay away. He fired when one of those in the crowd started to pull a gun from his waistband.
Joyce says 16-year-old Shaqur McNair was shot. McNair was taken to Cape Fear Valley medical Center where he died.
Officer Christopher Hunt has been placed on administrative leave while the State Bureau of Investigation reviews the shooting. Hunt has been with the department since 2011.
- Updated Trump's special guests for congressional speech hint at a focus on immigration
- Updated Muhammad Ali's son says he was detained at airport because he's Muslim
- Updated Don't expect this Asian tech giant to do a high-profile meeting with Trump
- Updated Deputy al Qaeda leader killed In Syria
- Updated India's economy shrugs off cash crisis to post 7% growth