An elderly man was found dead in his Greenville home Tuesday evening, police said.
Officers said newspapers were piling up at the home on 2069 F Quail Ridge Road, prompting a neighbor to check on the man's welfare. The neighbor discovered the body in the kitchen at about 4 p.m. Tuesday.
Because the man's family had not been located, police could not release his identity.
Police said it's unknown how the man died until an autopsy is performed on Wednesday. But officers are treating the case as a death investigation. According to police, the door to the home was slightly open.
- Havelock PD seeks person of interest in club stabbing
- Seven Springs man ends up in ICU after fight with detention officers
- Suspects in animal cruelty case to appear in court Monday
- National Boat Safety Week encourages safety in the water
- Pitt County NAACP to hold meeting to discuss families, mental health