LAGRANGE - Deputies say a man tried to rob a bank Wednesday, and his weapon of choice... a pencil.
Just after 3:50 p.m. Wednesday, Lenoir County Deputies say Warren Stidham, 22, of LaGrange walked into the Little Bank in LaGrange and demanded money from a teller. Bank employees say they first thought Stidham had a handgun, but it was later determined by the bank staff that he was holding a pencil. They told deputies Stidham used the pencil in a threatening manner while demanding the money.
Deputies say bank employees believed the suspect may have been suffering from a drug impairment or had a mental disability. They were able to calm Stidham down and get him to go outside. Once outside, one of the staff members activated the robbery alarm. Sheriff's deputies arrived moments later and Stidham was taken into custody in front of the bank without incident.
Stidham is charged with one count of attempted armed robbery. His bond is set at $52,000.
- Michelle Obama fires up North Carolina crowd for Hillary Clinton
- Updated Kids get swine flu from pigs at state fairs, CDC reports
- Updated Wildlife sanctuary searches for owl lost duirng Hurricane Matthew
- Updated Dems can't get enough of FLOTUS -- and Clinton knows it
- Updated Haley 'not a fan' but will vote for Trump