AUSTIN, Texas -- Police in Texas allege a man took a new sport utility vehicle for a test drive and traded it for drugs.
Workers at the Henna Chevrolet dealership told Austin police Carlos Sergio Valdes, 50, took the 2013 Chevrolet Tahoe on a test drive at a special lot Saturday and drove off without permission, The Austin American-Statesman reported Monday.
Valdes called police about 2 hours later and told officers he had become lost about 2 miles from the dealership and the vehicle had been stolen.
However, police said they later pulled over a woman who told them Valdes had sold her the $40,075 Tahoe in exchange for two crack rocks.
Valdes was booked on a theft charge and taken to the Travis County jail in lieu of $80,000 bail.
The American-Statesman did not say whether the woman was also charged.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend